- Why is it so hard for women to integrate the army? I wrote about this in the Washington Post, with Lindy Heinecken. You can read the article here.
- I wrote an article about the difficulties to regender the military with Lindy Heinecken, which was published in Gender, Work and Organisation, and which is now open access!
- I co-edited a Special Section of Journal of Eastern African Studies on African militaries in peace operations together with David Ambrosetti and Jean-Nicholas Bach which was published in January 2018.
- I have co-written two of the articles in the special section: together with Gérard Birantamije and David Ambrosetti, we are analysing the professionalisation of the Burundian military and its involvement in international peace operations. The article is available here.
- I have also co-written an article on Rwanda’s military as a people’s army and local heroes, both home and abroad, together with Josefine Kuehnel. The article is available here. The special section also contains articles by Paul D. Williams, Thomas Mandrup, and Marco Jowell.
- In a new Special Section in Journal of Intervention and Statebuilding, I am examining the links between Security Sector Reform (SSR) and Troop contribution to peace operations. In particular, I try to identify the unindented consequences of such links, including the reinforcement of the post-conflict government’s power. The article is available here.
- Andrea Purdekovà, Filip Reyntjens and I have recently published an article on the militarisation of governance in post-genocide Rwanda. In the article, we examine how Rwanda’s society has been permeated by a glorification of militarisation since the end of the genocide. The article was published in Third World Quarterly and can be found here.
- Together with Bert Ingelaere, I have written an article on how ex-combatants in the DRC make sense of sexual violence by analysing over 100 interviews with former rebels. The article was published in Journal of Contemporary African Studies in April and can be read here.
- My book: “Justifying Interventions in Africa” published with Palgrave Macmillan, is finally out in affordable paperback! It can be ordered here.
- If you want to know a bit more about it before you buy/borrow/read all of it, I’ve written a blogpost about it on Democracy in Africa which can be read here
- I’m writing about the findings for my research on how to integrate former fighters into national armies in the Washington Post – you can read the article here.
I’ve also been writing about the Burundian crisis in several places including the Washington Post, World Politics Review and the Security Governance Group, all which you can find below: